Village food tour is a unique opportunity to get acquainted with the Armenian culture. We offer you a trip to village near Yerevan, where a local culinary enthusiast will host you. During degustation of vast array of homemade cheese, hams, wines & spirits our host will tell you about peculiarities of the recipes and reveal some secrets of the preparation. At the end together with the family we will prepare and enjoy a tonri khorovats, a barbecue made in a tonir, an underground oven made of clay.
- Pick-up and transfer to the village (around 30 min from Yerevan city center) with the English-speaking guide
- Local host greet you in the house
- We will start with some light snacks (lavash with home-made cheese and ham), sweeties (chuchkhel, alani, pokhindz), chir (assorted dried fruits – apricots, prunes, apples, peaches), fresh garden fruits and vegetables (seasonable) and home-made kompots
- Afterwards, we will have a stroll on the village streets, visit local church, talk to locals
- On return we will start preparation of tonri khorovats – together with our host we will start the process from kindle a fire in the tonir and putting the food on the shampoor, a traditional Armenian metal skewer
- While making the khorovats we will taste home-made wines and oghi (Armenian eau-de-vie) paired with home-made cheese and ham
- As a dessert we will have tea served with popoqi / kerasi anoush (an absolute delicacy made from our hosts’s garden nuts / white cherries)
- After tasty meal, we will taste home-made brandy made from local grapes and Nran gini (a pomegranate wine) with Armenian nuts & raisins and peaches and apples from local garden (seasonable) we will drive back to Yerevan
- every Sunday
- you can book online or by telephone
- price per person – AMD 50,000
WHAT WE WILL EAT
We will have selection of the following main courses:
- Tonri khorovats, an Armenian pork / lamb barbecue made in an underground clay oven – tonir
- Amarayin khorovats (barbecued tomato, egg-plants and pepper)
- Barbecued potato
- Fresh garden vegetable salads (seasonable)
- Selection of home-made cheese
- Selection of home-made diary products
- Selection of home-made ham
- Home-made salted vegetables
- Local garden fruits (seasonable)
- Home-made sweeties (chuchkhel, alani, pokhindz)
- Home-made chir (assorted dried fruits – apricots, prunes, apples, peaches)
- Armenian nuts & raisins
- Tonri Lavash (lavash made in tonir
- Matnaqash (locally made Armenian national bread)
WHAT WE WILL DRINK
- Nran gini, homemade pomegranate wine
- Selection of home-made red and white wines – dry, semi-sweet and sweet
- Selection of home-made oghi (an Armenian eau-de-vie)
- Home-made brandy made from local grapes
- Kompot, a traditional home-made fruit beverage (peach or quince)
- Still and Sparkling Water
- Armenian traditional tea, made from thyme and mint served with popoqi / kerasi anoush (nuts / white cherries dessert)
You can order a tonir speciality – a lamb or got meat, stuffed with dried fruits and prepared in tonir with acharov pilaf and mushrooms. Please check the details with our team.
Why choosing this tour?
See your tour on the map
We booked this tour with friends and spent a great time.. will definitely book it again as the food was GREAT!!!
Owner, Arthur, is a fantastic story teller and chief.. Enjoyed it very much...
Cool! Owner had a terrific collection of home-made wines and brandies....
Can I book a tour without payment and credit card info?
Yes, we apply BOOK NOW, PAY LATER policy for our food tours. So, you can book a tour without credit card information. Upon booking our team will contact you to check your preferred payment method.
Where does the food tour start?
Upon booking of the tour you will receive the exact information of our starting location along with all information you need.
Do you offer hotel pick-up?
Yes, we do offer hotel pick-up for our tours. Please check with our team the hotel pick-up details.